Hi Im In Canada, How's It Goin Down There?

Im Just wondering what a staghound is? Ive read a little info but nothing about where they come from. We have them here too, but the breed we have here seems to be lighter; not quite as sturdy. Ive read about them being used on coyote. I'd like to hunt some pigs, I guess there is an introduced and growing population here in alberta Canada no one hunts them yet (that I know of), but Ive read in some hunting forums that their population is spreading rapidly.

Hey Canadog.

you've come to the right site mate, very well run and a mine of information.....and dont be afraid to ask the seemingly simplest, daftest question to the Mensa breaking, Wikipedia smashing inquiries on anything pertaining to dogs & hunting ...the people on here will give you the answer.

Cheers

Billy

GDay Canadog

check the sighthound section you will see a wide section of ozzie running dogs staghound is a type rather than breed out here and range from first crosses to line breed dogs that have been around 100yrs. the main ingrediants are usually greyhound ,deerhound and wolfhound of variering amounts some lines have other blood like borzoi. to take the biggest of our fast game takes a swift strong dog.

enjoy the site Stevemac

welcome mate, as Steve said have a look at the sighthound section towards the bottom of the forum, its where it all happens as far as running dogs go... the only real site in australia for staghounds / roodogs etc.

check out http://www.kangaroodog.org for a bit of info on the australian staghounds and kangaroo dogs

Your US stags are similar but different ot the australian ones, both seem to do the job they are bred for very well but.