G,day  i was just wanting to know if it is normal for hairy dogs to be late bloomers... i have a cat cross n she was was finding n catching her own at 7 months  ... my wolf stag x is almost 2 and is still not where i want him  .. any ideas ???

Yer most large breeds can be late bloomers . As long as you have continued to take him out and not forced him to do something he doesn’t want to he should turn as flick of a switch .

Have to be careful he isn’t a dud too . You’ve waited this long I’d see what he does at 2 n half . If not then pet home him

Hey Thanks  juniorhounddog he is lugging hard but will not leave my side when walking, where all other hounds are out doing there thing he just wants to stay close. No intrest in finding or following other dogs at all but once on he gos well

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Salty said:

Hey Thanks  juniorhounddog he is lugging hard but will not leave my side when walking, where all other hounds are out doing there thing he just wants to stay close. No intrest in finding or following other dogs at all but once on he gos well

At that age he is not going to all of a sudden became a busy hunter, good dogs are going well by 12mths and beginning to peak by 18mths, he is lugging so that mental button in his head has been pressed, if he walks beside you its probably because youve done a lot of walking with him from a pup and he has grown up staying by youre side now its a habit, he gets a chew he doesnt need to go find it and he doesnt have the drive to over ride that mindset. I wouldnt hunt him on foot at all only of the truck when youre not beside him he might start focusing on whats out in the paddock, but I also think he doesnt have the drive that makes top hounds.

Bonding can be over done where the dog is infatuated with you, I get it in young pups generally until they are started then they realize thats it more fun than me, as soon as I see a pup getting to stuck to me I ignore him totally leave him more on his own with different dogs so gets dog social more than people social, some are worse than others you just got be aware of it when the pup is young, you want him to trust you fully but not become starstruck, intelligent dogs seem to fall into this easier than those bull headed types.

Hairy dogs starting slow is accepted by hunters and so there are lots of them, there also hairy dogs that light up early because they came from drivey dogs that light up, the regular pig hunter wants an easy dog to handle and will breed relatively soft animals that catch pigs these types are closer to house pets than hard core pig dogs,  most of those types are good for western mob pigs, they lack that grunt the drivey breeds and crosses have, but they catch a lot of pigs and so suit a lot of people.

Good luck with him. 

• Like 1

My old Arab would walk beside me when walking creeks or gorges but as soon as he got some scent he would go to work and more often than not he would get to the pigs before the busy dogs did I found the busy dogs once they hit scent they would start racing each other and pushing each other to get to the pig first were as weak would be walking with me all cruisy then youd see his nose go up he'd have a few whiffs and b line straight for the pig and the busy dogs would near always do a large curve travelling further faster and waisting a lot of energy. 

I'd be more inclined to test him out take 1 of your busier dogs on a lead that you trust as a good finder but hold it back and go for a walk if the dog on the lead picks up the scent and your buddy is still walking all casual beside you shoot the crumpet and let the other 1 off the lead catch the pig and go home to live happily ever after with less food bill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I also had another dog that was too smart for himself just thought he was above the other dogs he would instigate a find and once the other dogs were on the scent he would come back and get on the ute he wouldnt work with other dogs he would walk in with me and lug up when we got there but by himself he would travel over a km on scen. He ended up bailing pigs and expecting me to lug after that his career ended abruptly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1