Hi there,

I have just joined the ozziedoggers forum.

I am a PhD student, studying at the University of Queensland, looking at feral pig management in the wet tropics of north Queensland. In particular, I am interested in policy creation, implementation and opposition and I am focusing on feral pig hunting (and hunters) in north Queensland.

One of the mods has invited me to participate in this forum to get to know a bit more about hunting so long as I don't quote or make references to specific posts (and I guess also so long as there aren't too many complaints from members ?).

I plan on dropping in once in a while to learn more about hunting and maybe, if it is ok, ask some questions about pig hunting - which will probably make you laugh. Questions like:

what does this phrase mean? "We already had seventeen pigs on board, but not without staking the side out of two good tyres."

seriously, anyone?

Anyway, if you are interested in my research or concerned about how I might use the information I collect please feel free to PM me or post a comment and I can provide you with some more detail about my study. Also, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Edited by Carla

Welcome Carla ,just wondering where your postion on pig hunters and there roll in feral pig management is at the moment .

Also have you had the opportunity to paticipate in a feral pig hunt if not more than happy to take you out to see how its done , I run a bailing dog and use a rifle to dispatch the pig a method which most people against pig hunt would probably prefer.

Hope you enjoy the forum and gain a fair insight into the world of the pig hunter Rick L

thanks for the welcome guys - and thanks for the translation!

I have seen a little bit of pig damage, but not much - just a bit of rooting. I haven't seen the damage that they do in the cane, to turtle eggs and that sort of stuff.

I also haven't been hunting yet - that is my next goal. I hope to probably towards the end of this year.

As for my thoughts on pig hunters and there roll in feral pig management at the moment.

In short:

I think that it is important to consider hunters/hunting in management planning both for its recreational value and for its potential contribution to management. In addition, I think that not seriously considering hunting and hunters when we look at feral pig management is actually detrimental to the development of better long term management planning. Hope that answers your question.