Hello From Sa

Hello All and thanks for the forum.

I run 2 packs of hounds in South Africa - 1 for Bushpig and the other for Leopard.

I am really interested in pigging in the Queensland state, areas near Brisbane? (might be there in November visiting family)

Does anybody use scent hounds in Australia?

Is hunting allowed in State forests?

Much appreciated.

Hi mate sounds like you have some fun over there ,I was over there last year hunting

im sure some of the Qld guys will be able to help you out with your question.

wind senting is the best way for hunting pigs over hear..

do you run a safari over there im heading back next year and a bush pig boars on the listof things to get.

Hi and welcome to ozziedoggers.

Brisbane is an interesting area, there seems to be more ferals around in the city than ever before - but more of the 2 legged variety :).

But seriously, probably need to head a couple of hours out of Brissy. State forests in Queensland still a no go, but you can in New South Wales if you hold an R lisence. There is some great scenery to be had while out hunting if can get to places like Stanthorpe, Toowoomba region in the ranges or out in the channel country in Western Qld. North Qld is good too, but November will be the build up for the wet season so hunting is hot and humid.

All sorts of dogs used over here, but mostly cross breeds to suit the region hunted.

Have fun on the site there is a wealth of info to be had

Cheers

Matt

Thanks for the welcoming Guys/Girls.

I have learned a little about the type of dogs you guys use and can image the style of hunting to be quick chases to a hold or bay up? 

With so many pigs (according to stats) you aren't short of hunting opportunity I presume? and all feral so no messy legislation to deal with.

Apart from the hounds I also use Dogo Argentino's and Boerwindhonde (SA type sighthound). They help with tough bay-ups and to shorten the race.

http://s274.photobucket.com/user/African_013/media/Fenix_zpsae05926f.jpg.html

http://s274.photobucket.com/user/African_013/media/ODhuntgroup.jpg.html