New To Ozziedoggers - Actually New To The Dogging Sport

Hi all,

My name is Steve and I am located in Rosevale, in South East Qld. Creek flats, thick scrub and mountain country, and I love it.

Have hunted with rifles and bows most of my life but am being introduced to the "Hound on Hog" style by some friends.

Only hound I have ever hunted with is my 4 year old Beagle "Belle", fantastic nose, but not exactly a "Hog Dog".

So I know this is going to open up many an argument, but being a new guy to the game, any suggestions on a nice breed or x breed that doesnt mind being ridden by the kids but will work in the field??

Thanks

Steve

G'day Steve and welcome to the site. And yes a discussion on breeds always has the potential to get dramatic. IMO it's better to look at the people behind the dogs rather than the breeds. Most working pig dogs I've ever had or seen were fantastic with kids, the vet etc. It's part of the deal. So more than breeds, I'd suggest asking chasers who supplied their family/working dog and that might point you in the right direction more quickly.

Cheers.

Thanks for the welcome,

I just looked up the Makim breed online, do they come in blue?? Just kidding.........

Does anyone have contact details for a Makim Breeder?

I want to check out the different breeds, and bring a pup through. My friends have some good dogs and have offered to bring the pup through the sport with them.

I was interested in other breeds, so I didnt base my choice on what my friends currently have.

Hi all,

My name is Steve and I am located in Rosevale, in South East Qld. Creek flats, thick scrub and mountain country, and I love it.

Have hunted with rifles and bows most of my life but am being introduced to the "Hound on Hog" style by some friends.

Only hound I have ever hunted with is my 4 year old Beagle "Belle", fantastic nose, but not exactly a "Hog Dog".

So I know this is going to open up many an argument, but being a new guy to the game, any suggestions on a nice breed or x breed that doesnt mind being ridden by the kids but will work in the field??

Thanks

Steve

steve, how you going mate, my names matt and i live in Boonah, love dogging and always keen to meet fellow doggers around here, also always keen for local blocks to hunt, got a handy dog and love talking about pig dogs, love to catch up sometimes mate.