West Aussie

Hey all, new to the forum here.

Well as you may have guessed I am from the wonderful west and new to the sport. Whilst I have never been on a hunt with dogs, I have read every article, story and letter written about hunting pigs and have decided its time I took the plunge.

Heres where I was hoping for a few pointers.

Firstly my dog. Dozer is a pure bred staffy and one year old. He weighs around 25kg and has all the drives of being an excellent lugger.

I know there a plenty of variables that will determine whether he is any good as a pigger but I have never read of anyone hunting with a pure bred staffy and was wondering if there is a reason for this?

Secondly, I dont know anyone who actually hunts with dogs in my state. I was hoping to get in contact with someone who would be interested in helping me train my dog. I have all the necessary equipment (quad, gun, sticker etc) and have been on heaps of hunts, just not for pigs.

I am still in the process of saving the necessary funds but would be more than willing to pay someone for their help.

Cheers for takin the time to read.

Dr Duff

One of my mates has a pure bred staffy (well his missus does). They have taken it out before just to give hime a run but all he did was flick off in the bush for four hours. Staffy's are too hyp for my liking and don't seem to have the concentration to chase pig's. Good luck with trying though. You'll probably find with his short stumpy leg's he does not have enough speed or even height despite having the weight to hunt well.

Welcome to the site Dr Duff.

I'm also from WA. Down south somewhere...

I live in Roleystone which is in the hills near Perth. Yeah one thing i am short of is a property, as my farm and all the properties I have permission to use are just the usual roos, rabbits and foxes.

Brings me to another question actually, where in WA would be the best areas to hunt if the hunt had to be early winter?

I know what you mean about staffy attention spans Lukas, we have had a few and most like you say are useless as anything but pets. My current dog is excellent though, i hope he works out as a lugger, as he is fearless and too smart. What problems does being too short cause a dog, is it simply speed or has it got to do with staying on the pig?

Thanks again,

Dr Duff

He is quite a fit dog though the heat gets to him quite quickly. I see what you mean pig mad and I assume he would have to be paired with a good finder/bailer as he doesn't have the greatest nose either.

Yeah definitely gettin him a breastplate before I take him out cos I really wanna keep this one alive.

Personally i think staffys are way to short in the leg last thing you want to do is blow him out and have to carry him all the way back to the car. i have seen alot of people with pitty cross's over heat there dogs fair enough they have the hunting drive but they just need the extra bit of leg. There is a guy on this forum hunts with AMSTAFS im pretty sure might want to ask him a few questions.

I live in Roleystone which is in the hills near Perth. Yeah one thing i am short of is a property, as my farm and all the properties I have permission to use are just the usual roos, rabbits and foxes.

Brings me to another question actually, where in WA would be the best areas to hunt if the hunt had to be early winter?

I know what you mean about staffy attention spans Lukas, we have had a few and most like you say are useless as anything but pets. My current dog is excellent though, i hope he works out as a lugger, as he is fearless and too smart. What problems does being too short cause a dog, is it simply speed or has it got to do with staying on the pig?

Thanks again,

Dr Duff

There are pigs everywhere in WA. You'll be surprised where pigs will take up residence. There a few guys on here from Perth that hunt in the hills, Staghound being one.

I'm from busso and hunt round here down to Nannup, Bridgetown and across towards Margaret river.

Plenty of good spots if you have local knowledge...

The attention span might mean he loses his focus while he is lugging. maybe something distracts him like you arriving at the pig. He might get bored on the ute or on his way into the pig and lose track of the scent.

pigs in the hills, but u need a finder to get them, up your way look for properties with water on them and you wont be too far off

there are pretty much pigs from all the way down south, follow the hills all the way up to northampton

margaret river looked interesting going by the bushland they have, be hard going hunting on a property that had lots of that crap in it, looks thick as when i was driving down caves road past the deer farm, i was thinking at the time hmm pig paradise lol