What Type Of Dog To Start With.

Hi team

We ( Wife and two sons 14 & 11) go shooting about twice three times a year, and we live in the burbs with an average sized back yard. We are wondering if it would be a good idea to get semi retired dog a pointer ?? to help us find more pigs. Is there such a dog and would it lose its edge only going out a few times a year ?

kirk

hi kirk and welcome to ozziedoggers,,,

personaly i dont think what your looking for is totaly out of the question,,there would be pros and cons ofcoarse,

i think breeds would have to be taken into consideration,,,and keeping him fit would be a definate must,,no use taking him out on a trip after 6mnths and he knocks up in 5min.

finding one might be no easy feat though,,,although maybe someone could be making room for some up and commers and let an older dog go,,you never know,

jimmy

mate i have a mastif/dane bitch that would be perfect for that set up, she loves nothing more than catching pigs but is more than happy to lounge around the back yard with the kids. so yeah there definately a dog for that purpose. problem is they are loved by the whole family and hard to get rid of i been thinking bout getting rid of coco for bout six months but cant bring myself to do it( and i always seem to get more pigs when she`s on the back)post-406-1265784455_thumb.jpg in my opinion bigger style dogs are happier to sit around the house with a walk/run every second day smaller type dogs tend to be more full on.

cheers boomer

She was breed by a good mate of mine out of his best bitch(Cecil Tyice line), got her and her brother at 8 weeks. Both dogs (RIP BRUCE) are straight out hunting dogs and are the most placid animals when at home lounging around the back lawn they`re pets as well as hunting dogs. i take her out hunting at least once a fortnight but more often than not weekly.

I think if you where to get a mature dog then i`d be going for something along those line`s, quiet and gentel natured just make sure they have been well socialized with people and other animals.

cheers boomerpost-406-1265801760_thumb.jpg