Best Breeds for hunting

Too open ended mate , define good, what do you want it to do and I dont mean catch a pig, what style do you want it to catch pigs, where are you going to hunt it, what experience do you have with training and taking care of a dog and  how much time are you going to give the dog.

Its not so much about specific breeds,  you need to understand with breeds there  is 2 rules that mean a lot, they are bred by large numbers of people with different eyes and different ideas, the other rule is the very best quality is always the smallest number of the population,  the majority of any breed will be average and below average thats a given,  making it about finding the quality dogs inside the chosen breed that suit your situation, this takes knowing what you really want and then going out to find that, do your home work and find good dogmen they generally have good dogs dont fixate on breeds most breeds are made up of cookie cutter dogs not the originals that the breed was based on that all the books portray.

• Like 2

People are way to hung up on breeds. Just about any breed will have a crack, but if you're after top grade dogs, look for top grade dog people. I've given up on specific breeds, and look for dogs from specific dogmen. Find someone who's been committed to breeding a line for some time, hunts how you want to and has higher standards than you do. The people behind the dogs making the decisions hold more sway with how a dog will turn out than what breed it comes from - by a long, long way.

• Like 3
Too open ended mate , define good, what do you want it to do and I dont mean catch a pig, what style do you want it to catch pigs, where are you going to hunt it, what experience do you have with training and taking care of a dog and  how much time are you going to give the dog.
Its not so much about specific breeds,  you need to understand with breeds there  is 2 rules that mean a lot, they are bred by large numbers of people with different eyes and different ideas, the other rule is the very best quality is always the smallest number of the population,  the majority of any breed will be average and below average thats a given,  making it about finding the quality dogs inside the chosen breed that suit your situation, this takes knowing what you really want and then going out to find that, do your home work and find good dogmen they generally have good dogs dont fixate on breeds most breeds are made up of cookie cutter dogs not the originals that the breed was based on that all the books portray.

Thanks for your advice! This will help me have a clearer view as a new player to this game!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People are way to hung up on breeds. Just about any breed will have a crack, but if you're after top grade dogs, look for top grade dog people. I've given up on specific breeds, and look for dogs from specific dogmen. Find someone who's been committed to breeding a line for some time, hunts how you want to and has higher standards than you do. The people behind the dogs making the decisions hold more sway with how a dog will turn out than what breed it comes from - by a long, long way.

Thank you for this advice this will help me a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Vortx1 most everyone thinks their way and style is is the right one, that’s why they do it the way they do USUALLY. Some do it the way they do it because it’s the only way they have ever experienced it being done, so they don’t know any different. The advice Wombat and Mr. Rod gave you was as sound and spot on as you will get. Hunt with as many people and different styles as you can and decide what you think will work best for you. You have to know this before you can know what you are looking for. Plenty of hunters out there that are willing to sale you a dog(s). If you don’t know what you are looking for and you don’t know what good is, you will put a lot of time and money out for nothing more than hard lessons.