New to y'alls site

2 hours ago, lawdawgharris said:

Hello to y'all. Looking forward to reading and learning from you folks. I'm a Texas hog dogger for about 30 years. Our styles are a little different but there's something to learn from everyone.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Can you put up some pics of your hounds ....

43 minutes ago, lawdawgharris said:

I run a family of dogs that are catahoula/treeing walker cross. They are about 1/4 hound depending on which cross they are out of. I breed for track speed, brains, and enough bite to keep a good hog bayed without getting wrecked. Our country is either open pasture for cattle grazing or thick hard woods with lots of briars and underbrush. It can take time getting to the dogs and this Texas heat and humidity a dog that catches out could be in trouble. I want the kind of bite that will rip the pride and joy out of a hog wanting to leave, not reaching up there and pinching them. I used the hound to put that drive and bottom. When it gets really hot I've found most full cur types just don't have enough drive to hunt as hard or stay with a hog that wants to run. So many hounds have that fire I like. That produce at all cost mentality. The cur contributes speed and quiets the track noise. We have a very high concentration of hunters so our hogs a very wild. A dog that gives mouth on track starts off in a race more times than not here because the hogs will get up and leave when they hear a dog a lot of times. The black gyp is the mother to the brindle gyp in the picture with her and also to the white male with the red patch work. She's also a half sister to the last dog pictured and an aunt to the litter mate sisters in pictures 3 and 4.25d9dd0f5bbfdd4f9710ac331a8327e8.jpg8ebfc1f065b3ab9f332a919d6e7887cd.jpg244b45a2f4b1feed21de7873a65768be.jpg69472cff90676e01283848d5393fbf83.jpg3e5a07cacdacf3b49b43273355ba5de6.jpg

Thank's for the good write up, and pics .....nice style of dog ...

I've been hunting hog dogs about 30 years and raising this family for over 20. I cast hunt my dogs and I do cast solo. If they can't or won't do it solo then they aren't for me. Of course its easier for 3 or dogs to keep hogs bayed in the thick stuff than it is for one dog so we usually cast 3 or 4. Last hunt I had 2 dogs bayed on one hog, and 2 more dogs each baying their own hog. Went to the closest solo bay first and caught that hog. That dog immediately rolled over and went to the other solo bay. We went and caught that one and both dogs rolled over and went to the the other 2 dogs and we went and caught that one. Wound up catching 2 more after they left us from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
55 minutes ago, lawdawgharris said:

I've been hunting hog dogs about 30 years and raising this family for over 20. I cast hunt my dogs and I do cast solo. If they can't or won't do it solo then they aren't for me. Of course its easier for 3 or dogs to keep hogs bayed in the thick stuff than it is for one dog so we usually cast 3 or 4. Last hunt I had 2 dogs bayed on one hog, and 2 more dogs each baying their own hog. Went to the closest solo bay first and caught that hog. That dog immediately rolled over and went to the other solo bay. We went and caught that one and both dogs rolled over and went to the the other 2 dogs and we went and caught that one. Wound up catching 2 more after they left us from there.

Do you have any Videos of your dogs working ..?

I really don't have any vids, at least not good ones. Seems like I'm always in a hurry to catch the hog and get on to the next hog. The few I had I lost on a phone that couldn't swim. It's hard to get a video worth anything when they are in the thick stuff. Now when they get in water or stop one in the wide open we get some. We have so many hogs here that we try to produce numbers. We have tied as many as 24 (100 pounds to 280 pounds) in a hunt. That was with 2 sets of dogs, my dogs and a married couple that hunt my family of dogs. 12 seemed to be the average for the longest. We would have hunts where we caught 15 to 18 pretty regular. Not many dry runs, like I say we are covered up in hogs. It sounds crazy but we have too many hogs. It's another reason for wanting dogs that shut hogs down quick and hold a bay. If they break and run they don't have to go far to get into another sounder of hogs to brush the dogs off then if they bust you could be on a fresh hog and it just keeps going like that. It sounds ridiculous but I have a spot that there is one block of woods on the place. The block is probably 300 yards long and at the widest part 100 yards wide. We bayed a sounder of hogs in there that broke bay. If one hog left that set of woods 350 hogs came out leaving in groups of 20 or 25, 40 here and one group was probably 120 or 130 hogs and in every size from snack size to full grown. It was an eye opener for sure.

• Haha 1

Just a couple pics. The first wasn't a big hog but very smart and pretty rank. We had ran this hog once before and he pulled some tricks and got away from my young dogs. The next time I had their momma and she knew all the tricks. He tried the exact same pattern on her in the exact same place. He almost lost his jewels over it and did lose his life lol. The second was a boar that tried leaving one set of woods to go to another. He made it about 150 or 200 yards out of those woods before they sucked him up and bayed him in this little creek. 33703a4e365a72da76d97a1625937eef.jpg994536fadeca33dd9ffa2cb892027f2e.jpg02e1440ca61e871785612a8fa8980dcc.jpg

• Like 5