New lady member.

G'day!  

I'm a lady finally getting into the sport after years of procrastinating.

I'm located in Central Queensland and I'll be looking to acquire a pair of pups and start from there.

I'm very open to getting honest and uncritical advice so please don't be shy.

I hope to be a constructive, helpful member of this community even if I don't have any experience.

Regards,

~Tank.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, juniorhounddog said:

Welcome tank girl . Been hunting much?? 

Goodness yes!

My dad came from Holland to Australia with his mum and dad and siblings after WWII and the resulting famine.

He was always very mindful of food and being able to acquire it and so hunting was always part of everyday life.

He raised us the same way.  I was blooded out in the hunting field when I was 5 with my very first kill.  Mum was all kinds of horrified when I walked into the house with lines of blood on my face dragging in the huge male hare I had shot.

I'm extremely accurate with long arms or side arms within 3 shot of handling a new firearm even if I don't know what the caliber or make or model is.

I haven't been hunting in a good long while because ...LIFE happens.  

Hunting with dogs will be completely new and I expect, an exciting chapter 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, juniorhounddog said:

Just a question why your looking to start with a pair of pups and not just one??

also have you thought about what kind of dog you would like??

Well I watch Nat ( a lady who hunts pigs on YT who has a similar height and build to me ) and she hunts with a team of two.  I figure that with two hounds there would be more control of the pig from both sides while I pull front and hind legs, lay them down for the stick.  Of course I may be way off base here.

Back in the day all I heard of in regards to sheer lugging power was dane/ mastiff crosses.  The hairy dogs had wolf hound blood.

I'm a HUGE fan of a massive red dog on one of the YT channels called Max who hits like a freight train and just doesn't quit.  I believe he's a mastiff, dane ridgeback cross.

On another channel there is a large dark brindle dog called Paddles that that has a lot of Go Pro footage.  I believe he is a Arab, X maybe?

Since I've been on this site I have to say I have fallen in love with Shady Bullarab's white and tan dog that he has documented with posts and pics since he was a pup..  What a stunning animal!!

Maybe it would be best to find a breeder who I can buy pups from who can start them with their own pack before sending them to me.  I would hate to destroy the potential of first class pups with my lack of experience in starting them. Maybe they can train me as well.......if they're close enough.  

Just now, juniorhounddog said:

Yer nice . I dunno who Nat is or what YT is . 

having 2 dogs on a pig is pritty spot on in most blokes books . 

raising 2 pups at once and training then can be a handful . Easier one at a time . Only reason I ask 

YT is youtube.  Sorry.   

This is the Red dog Max I was talking about.  No hesitation.  Just hits them like a brick wall.  I love this dog.

This is Nat.  Her and her husband have this youtube channel...

Welcome to the site. My personal opinion is you’d be a lot better off finding and hunting with someone in your local area or someone from the area your going to be hunting in. Tag along for a few months even a year and get to know what hunting with dogs is all about. You’ll learn what style of dogs are going to be best for the area your hunting. Different breeds/styles are better suited in different country. You’ll have a Great more chance in training a pup off another experienced dog rather then the pup trying to teach its self. As stated above it’s a lot more easier to train one pup at a time. There’s several questions that you’ve got to answer yourself before you can choose the breed Of pup you want, will you need a finding dog for the country your hunting ? Will you just need a sight dog ? Do you want to hunt with Luggers or bailers ? There’s a lot to learn so you’d really be best getting in with someone with plenty of experience and learn the way they hunt and what dogs work best for them. Good luck with whatever direction you take 

Edited by Cody Griffiths
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, Cody Griffiths said:

Welcome to the site. My personal opinion is you’d be a lot better off finding and hunting with someone in your local area or someone from the area your going to be hunting in. Tag along for a few months even a year and get to know what hunting with dogs is all about. You’ll learn what style of dogs are going to be best for the area your hunting. Different breeds/styles are better suited in different country. You’ll have a Great more chance in training a pup off another experienced dog rather then the pup trying to teach its self. As stated above it’s a lot more easier to train one pup at a time. There’s several questions that you’ve got to answer yourself before you can choose the breed Of pup you want, will you need a finding dog for the country your hunting ? Will you just need a sight dog ? Do you want to hunt with Luggers or bailers ? There’s a lot to learn so you’d really be best getting in with someone with plenty of experience and learn the way they hunt and what dogs work best for them. Good luck with whatever direction you take 

Thank you Cody.

I greatly appreciate this sort of input.

You are 100%.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with learning during tag along sessions.  Finding the right teachers who would tolerate a newbie who had the right ethics is the trick.

I'll reach out to a few I know of within 2 hours drive but chances are they'll think I'm some weirdo crackpot and ignore my overtures.  I can but try.

• 1 month later...

Tank I'm a Texan and new to this forum as well. But, I've been dogging hogs for 30 years. Cody is exactly right. I would add that you need to hunt with as many different people as you can. Their styles may be similar but everyone does things a little different here and there. You might take a little from this one and a little from that one and so on and make your own way eventually. It could sure save you time and money learning like this. You have one major thing in your favor already, you aren't scared of advice or constructive criticism. Don't be too proud to ask questions. The old saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" is exactly true. There are a lot of folks on the forum that absolutely know what they are doing, they catch too many hogs for it to be luck. It's also one of the friendliest forums I've been on. Watch and listen and you're going to be ok. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I watched that you tube video Tank. I can see why you would like the red dog. IN MY OPINION THOUGH, he lacking one thing. That one thing is a hard mouth. If you watch he takes a lot of punishment and so do the dogs helping him because he has to re-catch so many hogs because he is constantly regripping or getting knocked off. It can happen to any dog but it won't happen regularly to the "get ahold stay ahold, hard mouthed dogs". Over here, it sometimes takes a bit to get into a caught hog because of how thick it is. A dog that constantly re-grips or chews will have an ear torn off or possibly both ears before you get there. That can make it real hard to control a big hog. If you crawl in on your belly and the dogs have no way to control a big mad hog you could be in a tough spot yourself. I'm not trying to knock anyone's dog. He's a good dog and obviously very smart. There are no perfect dogs. That's just the hole I see in his game. I had an outstanding find dog nearly ruined because of this very thing. Had the catch dog been holding instead of re-gripping the dog wouldn't have gotten hit.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

• Like 1