Old Dog New Tricks

hi all im41 years old from the Sydney area. been hunting the great dividing range and cape York for 25years. but still learning to use these web sites I have 4 dogs going at the moment that I have been breeding for 5 generations. I really enjoy teaching dogs to ute find in pine blocks and hardwood forests. I have found over the years that the faster I drive in the pine blocks [40-50kph]  the bigger fuss your dogs make to bail off the tray. and I only drive slow [20kph] when the scent is low to the ground. rain/heavy fog/snow etc. the full moon plays a big part in catching that elusive mountain boar. the moon brings the sows on heat. so any time 2days before the full or 5 days after is when that big boar u cant catch will be covering new ground trying to find the sows and the boars scent is stronger then too. if anyone out there wants any tips on catching a tricky mountain boar id be happy to pass on any help I can.

• Like 3

thanks misko do u hunt in Victoria or travel north over the border mate. I do a bit around the nsw/vic border south east forest area few times a year. always snag a few when the snows heavy up high pushing them down to the lower country .all  u need is a r licence.or a helpful property owner happy hunting.

• Like 1

yeah dave  always keen to help just need a bit of information to get u smashing that alpine country.do u have a ute finder. or do u walk in with your dogs and can u give me the dogs ages

hi southern pride    the dogs I am running at the moment I call roonhounds haha  there from a well known hunters line on the south coast nsw  great dane  /staghound male .that  go back to the early 1990s. crossed with a bandog / bloodhound bitch that was my first dog I got 10 years hard work out of here in the 90s when I was really keen. the pup I have now is 12 months old 5th gen thanks for asking :)

hi thorneswine I would like to post pictures but I am new to this laptop stuff. in the near future I will post a couple. my lead dog is male 8years old 40kg black and looks like a bandog with a bloodhound /staghound snout 2nd in charge is full white 6yrs old 40kg male looks like a boxer / staghound cross and 2 bitches black/white 4yr old and a black 12 month old both 35kg and look like there dad [lead dog]

hi stud dog the reason I think sows come on heat coming up to the full moon is I breed large white / saddleback pigs have done for 20years and that's when they come on with wild pigs have u noticed when u gut a good boar caught on a fullmoon they all ways have a trumpet full of luvin for u and boars have more fresh scars around that time from fighting over the sows that fighting wheres them out a bit making our job easier but that's just my opinion happy huntin

• Like 1

Interesting, I wonder if it's similar where I hunt, flat country. I try to observe things but I find the best way to catch a good boar is just put the effort in. Good info mate

One thing I've learnt is walking you learn waterholes/camps etc and for this reason I have good success with not getting a dry run lol

hi jp 138 what your saying is rite spending the time out there do in the hard yards pays off. I have not hunted around moree but get out past bourke  in the cuttaburra floodout country 2-3 times a year and the moon thing seems the same there anyway happy hunting :)

• Like 1

hi thorneswine I would like to post pictures but I am new to this laptop stuff. in the near future I will post a couple. [lead dog]

Bottom of the text box that you type your reply, you will see more reply options. To post pictures you need to go into there and find the attachment section. Usually below the text box to the left.