Hi Fellas, A Photographer Looking To Go Pig Hunting In Nsw

Hi all,

My name is Conor, I am a  photographer based in Sydney. I work around the world and around Australia. Growing up in regional NSW as a young fella now I live in the big smoke and have less time to go bush I have become more interested in trying to find ways to photograph the reality of rural Australia for farmers and the habitat. I am looking to start working on a project about feral animals and how they plague farms and natural habitat in Australia, while i know it

Edited by Conor

for showing the impact and damage that pigs and other invasive species cause is a good thing Conor and i hope some one can take you for a look to showcase the issue.

As for photographing the hunt, that has me gun shy to the request , soley because once i sign over control of the pictures i would not have a say in where they end up.

Personally it would Not be for the fear of anything i would be show casing but more the fact of i would not want to be the face of a anti hunting propaganda campaign.

Unfortunatly taking peoples word these days has been degraded and cant be trusted due to the actions of political driven media in regards to this issue in the past - eg anything the ABC have reported on in the past in regards to the 7.30 report.  That situation proved there was an underlying motive that put our recreation and lifestyle at jeopardy. The old saying mate, once burned twice shy applys to any situation such as this.

Edited by northern mick
  • Like 8

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses guys.

Firstly over to Mick I can imagine your sentiment is shared by many in regards to feeling misrepresented, I havent seen those news pieces you speak of specifically and In regards to hunting being put at jeaporfy I would personally hate to think that might be a biproduct of any news piece about pig hunting. Secondly in regars to  what happens to the photos, you mentioned your face ending up as part of an anti-hunting campaign, I would be happy to sign off with any one who I hung out with saying that my photos will only appear in a series that highlights pig hunting as a practice in a wider context of individuals taking a personal pursuit to try the prolific feral animals that plague our continent.

Also in regards to that second point, there is already a large bunch of photos and video online of pig hunting that if a campaign was going to rip off material ( as a photographer I wouldnt give it to them and would issue an infringment notice immediately) their best bet would be to just pinch stuff off youtube, which I have to say there is alot of stuff out there.

In terms of what kind of 'day in the life of an Australian pig hunter' I would to focus on, the work of American photographer on crocodile hunting is really powerful stuff, you can have a look at it here. http://matteichphoto.com/trouble-in-the-water  Personally I really like this work. Now I dont intend to copy his stuff at all but it is an indicator of the photo essay style.

Finally for @Old Dog here is a link to some of my work on young farming men living on the land http://au.reachout.com/project-young-men-exhibition and here is my FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Conor-Ashleigh-Visual-storyteller/238264529582203 .

If anyone wants to email me directly I am on conor.ashleigh@gmail.com

• Like 1

Ok Conor , here is a history lesson on distrusting any media.below is a link to the abc story i was talking about previously. The reporter who did the story , whilst doing the research for content rang up the organiser of the pinnacle pig hunting comp and tried to sell him the story that they wanted to piece a story highlighting the positive side to pig dogging. The organiser smelled a rat after questioning the reporter on a few things and basically told the reporter that she would not recieve his permission to attend, to which she replied to him "well too bad im coming anyway". That set in motion the true motive and behold a month later this little piece of typical greens party backed biased ABC story hit the tv . http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2012/s3547927.htm . I agree with you that there is alot of rubbish on the net that depicts pig hunting in a bad light but that is the same with any recreational activity, dickheads in all circles that bring down the majority.

• Like 1

Hi Mick, While I dont know the journo that did the story and the circumstances around how they worked with people it you said it yourself dickheads in all circles wthat bring down the majority....  I have to say though as a viewer that while it ended with the push by politiicans in NSW to ban the practice, I thought  the opening of the piece showed the need for feral pig hunting as a culling practice, the first interview with the cane farmer highlighted that really well. I can understand the distrust that exists amongst hunters, I spose for anyone that takes me out I hope to be taken on my individual merit as a human first and a photographer second. C

Hi Mick, While I dont know the journo that did the story and the circumstances around how they worked with people it you said it yourself dickheads in all circles wthat bring down the majority....  I have to say though as a viewer that while it ended with the push by politiicans in NSW to ban the practice, I thought  the opening of the piece showed the need for feral pig hunting as a culling practice, the first interview with the cane farmer highlighted that really well. I can understand the distrust that exists amongst hunters, I spose for anyone that takes me out I hope to be taken on my individual merit as a human first and a photographer second. C

Might i add that never once in the ABC report on the pig comp did it mention that $25000 was raised and donated all to charities and schools in the local area.

Now if that isnt worth a mention i dont know what is. It was a stitch up from the word go, and it just seems a bit coincidental that a few other blokes such as yourself have been asking other hunters to tag along for photos for the same reasons such as yourself and again, the very similar reason to the 7.30 report.

Now i am sure if you contact the APDHA we could provide you some information you may find handy, and if its feral animal impact on farming then i suggest contacting a farming association and get out on the ground around the paddocks with a cocky and let them show you the damage first hand.

• Like 2

G'day Conor,

I'm interested that the article in the Green Left Weekly referred to your interest in working with pig hunters rather than looking at the damage caused by feral pigs. Were you misquoted in the story? I ask because  as a culture, hunters in general and pig hunters in particular have had a lot of grief from the politically Green. What are your links with the publication?

I'm not saying anything you've said is disingenuous but a skeptic might read it as a sales job to have us drop our guard and expose ourselves to ridicule or attack. We have seen one example of fairness from the Green media, a recent interview with Green Lifestyle Magazine. They acted professionally and reported accurately, from all sides.

However, professionalism and fairness has been in short supply in many of our past relationships with people offering us respect.

So, why should we trust you?

Where did you grow up? Every chance if you grew up rural as you say, someone on here will know your family and vouch for you.

Name a few people in the media who might recommend you. You might be surprised ho some of us grew up with or worked with. as you'd know from a rural background, personal; recommendations count for a lot.

So, fire away...

• Like 1

Hi there dogmann and others,

As you can probably see from that interview with the green left publication, it was exactly that, an interview. I never supplied them with any photographs, they use one the writer Kate took at the cafe when we had a chat. I would also suggest if people want to actually have a

That interview was literally four years ago. I had planned on doing more at the time on rural culture, some of which I have got around to and others which I havent. I have managed to get out and visit some wheat belt farmers out in central Western NSW and also in WA. In fairness with age I have come to realise that I am only going to invest my own time and funds on something that I think it important and adds to a conversation that hasnt been covered healthily. Nowadays when I am going on a self funded trip somewhere I always thinking about how the broad issue or challenge can be personified through a persons experience. From what I have seen so far most people are interested in human centred stories, this is why i think with feral animals the key people are those affected by them, farmers, and those hunting.

In regards to validating my quality of person. I find it a little difficult to do so to a bunch of people whose names I dont even know. For now I am happy to keep conversations going over emails and phone yarns with anyone particularly keen.

Cheers,

Conor

In regards to validating my quality of person. I find it a little difficult to do so to a bunch of people whose names I dont even know. For now I am happy to keep conversations going over emails and phone yarns with anyone particularly keen.

Yet your expecting us to take you to our own private hunting areas and share with you our pastime.

Here, my name is mick fletcher.

I am based in the NT. I am a Capricorn and like long walks on the beach. I have not touched a drop of alcohol in the last 5 minutes and it's been years since my last confession.

I have nothing about my hunting to hide and can be seen in such publications such as wild boar Australia and on issues of the pig hunting DVD. I also have no hidden agendas but distrust those who are not truthful about themselves as they tend to always have hidden motives.

There, it's easy see.

Edited by northern mick
  • Like 5

Conor, thanks for reply. You don't know our names but we all know one another, either directly or indirectly. We all operate on the basis that whatever we say or do is likely to be known within our world. We also have our own magazines, own forums, own videographers and journos. So when someone we don't know wants our trust we ask questions. We've been lied to before and treated with disrespect, it is up to you to do the convincing as to why we would risk that again. I see you have sent me a PM. I'll look at it but fair warning and nothing personal, I don't see any reason to risk dealing with a person I don't know or who can't give me a few references.

• Like 1