The Perfect Dog

Gday, I'm Mick, I'm joining up to this forum because I want to find out if anybody out there has bred the perfect dog. My perfect dog would be able to course hares in the daylight, bail big pigs and lug hard once you got there, have a good nose to find pigs, and catch and kill a big strong fox. Plus, loyal so that you didn't have to keep them tied up, teachable enough to fetch a beer from the fridge, light enough to put on a quad bike and not eat too much (24 inches and 25kg), and good with the kids. I've had one or two that came close, has anybody else succeeded?

im not saying that its impossible to have a dog do what your expecting but in my opinion if you let a dog hunt more than one species of animal your asking for a little trouble there. i think the chances of that hound attacking stock would be higher also. it would be likely to chase roos, wombats and all the other shit.

i had a staffy that pretty much hunted anything when i was a younger fella. it didn't attack stock but everything else was fair game to it. it was just my pet dog that id take hunting with me. you may be thinking thats ok but when your trying to hunt pigs only its gonna jump at anything its scents or sees. if you clip or cage it up it'll bloody whinge until you give it a steel cap to the head. been pig chasing now for 9 years and its hard enough keeping your dogs disciplined to chase pigs only. especially when you're having a quiet run. 

that was my experience. Good luck finding what you want

Don't agree Miccatacon, you should be able to hunt multiple game and still have your dog fully stock proof, it might jump at the wrong thing occasionally but it should pull up when it realises what it's done. As for training your dogs to hunt pigs only that should be easy as. Maybe try a different breed of dog, I personally don't think Staffies are good for pig hunting, too thick and hard to train, they might be ok in a mix but not as a pure bred, but that's just my opinion.

As for the first question, a rifle and a missus will get you what you want, don't know if you're going to find a dog that can do all those things though!

Had a top stag x bitch that could catch day hares and catch and throat hold foxes. Bailed me a couple of boars over the ton. Caught heaps of cats and rabbits as well. Handycwhen fishing she was a good landing net.

She was 24"tts never killed foxes out right and wasnt what id call a hard lugger but she got me results.

Id run her off a lead on pigs with another dog hunting because of roos. Ig i put her on a departing boars trail that had a few hundred meters headstart she'd pull em up eventually.

Cheers

Maybe if you didn't limit yourself to 24 inches and cheap to feed you might have more luck. A big stag with a bit of wolfhound in its makeup

should be able to do everything there except the beer, I am not sure on that. 

Boaramundi has one that brings beers lol

• Like 1

A dog that chases multiple game doesn't make it chase stock.. All my running dogs catch foxes, cats, hares, rabbits two of them also catch pigs and one of those two gets me ducks and finds quail and don't chase roos either.. None of them chase stock.. The problem though is you can't be sure of what they are hunting as I don't target the one species.. They will catch a fox in a chest plate if I'm hunting pigs and one gets up.. haha..

• Like 2

A perfect dog 

I reckon it's a perfect dog that When he thinks he has a 50% chance of catching something but he puts in 150% trying to catch it 

But what if he's only got a 10% chance of actually catching it?

Thanks for all the replies, I agree with most of them. Especially about giving of 150%, very important. I guess that's called heart. I suppose the characteristics that I'm really trying to put into a dog are Brains, Nose, Heart, Speed, Loyalty, Stamina, Weather Resistance, Convenience of Size, and Jumping Agility. Have I missed anything?

My top 4 dogs since my childhood are as follows: Turk, a dingo/stag, a little slow but very committed and freakishly athletic on rabbits. Commie, a whippet stag with a splash of staffy who once jumped a 7 foot security fence, with a great nose, loyal and human like personality, and extremely hard on foxes and cats, but too slow for hares. Sally, a deerhoundy type stag who once ran a hare to death but was brainless and lacked personality. And Nelly, a bully/GSpointer cross deerhound who appeared to have everything except for speed, could even fetch a beer, but died too young to prove herself.

What do you all reckon about a bully/GSpointer cross saluki?

And tell me more about catahoulas?

Thanks for all the replies, I agree with most of them. Especially about giving of 150%, very important. I guess that's called heart. I suppose the characteristics that I'm really trying to put into a dog are Brains, Nose, Heart, Speed, Loyalty, Stamina, Weather Resistance, Convenience of Size, and Jumping Agility. Have I missed anything?

My top 4 dogs since my childhood are as follows: Turk, a dingo/stag, a little slow but very committed and freakishly athletic on rabbits. Commie, a whippet stag with a splash of staffy who once jumped a 7 foot security fence, with a great nose, loyal and human like personality, and extremely hard on foxes and cats, but too slow for hares. Sally, a deerhoundy type stag who once ran a hare to death but was brainless and lacked personality. And Nelly, a bully/GSpointer cross deerhound who appeared to have everything except for speed, could even fetch a beer, but died too young to prove herself.

What do you all reckon about a bully/GSpointer cross saluki?

And tell me more about catahoulas?

I think Nelly proved herself by fetching a beer alone.. haha..