2 New Staghounds (With Pics)

Hi all , new to hunting and dogs ,never hunted before and first time dog owner.

I have recently bought 2 staghounds.

The sliver bitch is a Wolfhound X Ibizan Hound 27" 26kg 1 year old ,the hairy fawn dog is a Deerhound X Greyhound 28" 33 kg 3 years old

7343506672_c9fa0c0a7e_b.jpg

I'm located in Melbourne and am keen to learn about hunting.

Merry Christmas .

Sam

Edited by mallakoff

Hi all , new to hunting and dogs ,never hunted before and first time dog owner.

I have recently bought 2 staghounds. (both have never hunted)

The sliver bitch is a Wolfhound X Greyhound 27" 26kg 1 year old ,the hairy fawn dog is a Deerhound X Greyhound 28" 30 kg 3 years old

6530074873_c8f993f45e_z.jpg

I'm located in Melbourne and am keen to learn about hunting.

Merry Christmas .

Sam

hiya budy ,,,,nice dogs wair about in melb ,,,,,micl ,,yes you have the rite dogs ,,

Thanks hairybull, will do for sure.

Thanks micl we are in Stkilda

ha ha ahaha l new you wer in stkilda,,hahaha ,,, at first l thort balicluva,,,,,,,, cose lm apainter and dec,,, l can tell from the dizine of the homes,,,,good you have the beech to play with your dogs, l grew up in prot melb, l no all those suberbs very well,,, ,, ok if you go over west gate brig you will find open padics to run your dogs ,,for hare mainly ,,, some fox,,,, and plenty of rabbit,,,,,,, the padics are now no longer farms ,, they have subdiveded to biuld factory or wair houses ,,just up past laverton market ther is golf cores opeset that there is apadic,, most peapol run ther dogs ther , its about 5 kay sircul ,,,,,,,,just dont cross priver property,,,,, you have to get off at the laverton turn of ,go up the brige back over the free way ,, now wen you get over the brige tack the first left at botom of brig and go up 5 10 min wen the road turns you will see golf club or cors, ,go up littel more there on your rite you should see just siple gare , just take care of other peapol waling ther dogs ,,,,,,,,,,,,,a fela from this site go,s ther to ,, his name is lovemedogs ,, chat to hime ,,,,micl

ha ha ahaha l new you wer in stkilda,,hahaha ,,, at first l thort balicluva,,,,,,,, cose lm apainter and dec,,, l can tell from the dizine of the homes,,,,good you have the beech to play with your dogs, l grew up in prot melb, l no all those suberbs very well,,, ,, ok if you go over west gate brig you will find open padics to run your dogs ,,for hare mainly ,,, some fox,,,, and plenty of rabbit,,,,,,, the padics are now no longer farms ,, they have subdiveded to biuld factory or wair houses ,,just up past laverton market ther is golf cores opeset that there is apadic,, most peapol run ther dogs ther , its about 5 kay sircul ,,,,,,,,just dont cross priver property,,,,, you have to get off at the laverton turn of ,go up the brige back over the free way ,, now wen you get over the brige tack the first left at botom of brig and go up 5 10 min wen the road turns you will see golf club or cors, ,go up littel more there on your rite you should see just siple gare , just take care of other peapol waling ther dogs ,,,,,,,,,,,,,a fela from this site go,s ther to ,, his name is lovemedogs ,, chat to hime ,,,,micl

The buildings are recognizable ay heh heh! ,yeah they like the beach for sure.

Cool sounds good,will contact lovemedogs for info.

Cheers

Edited by mallakoff

The buildings are recognizable ay heh heh! ,yeah they like the beach for sure.

Cool sounds good,will contact lovemedogs for info.

Cheers

good on ya mate injoy ,, marry exmasss ,,,,,,,,,, my spelling is very bad excuse me ,,,,,,,, micl

good on ya mate injoy ,, marry exmasss ,,,,,,,,,, my spelling is very bad excuse me ,,,,,,,, micl

hahahaha yeah it is, but micl means well and after all we aint on here to show of our spelling are we. welcome to ozzie doggers mate.

• 4 weeks later...

Although most are probably ok to feed to your dogs, and y with Myxo or Calici are also probably highly infected with worms due to thier poor health so I tend to steer away from them and only feed out healthy bunnies.

Been doing some late night walks with 'em lately ,there's been a tons of possums around ,cheeky little buggers just sit on fences and tease the dogs ,The WH X IH has a good standing jump she's gonna drag one down soon.

(I have just been informed that's it's probably illegal for my dogs to kill possums, so I'm taking extra care on those late nite walks now.)

Edited by mallakoff

Although most are probably ok to feed to your dogs, and y with Myxo or Calici are also probably highly infected with worms due to thier poor health so I tend to steer away from them and only feed out healthy bunnies.

Cheers Dooley thanks for the reply .Do you just look at the condition of the rabbit and can know it health? ie: not a skinny little mangey scag but good healthy fur and muscle condition etc...Am i on the the right track here?

As you can see I'm totally new to all of this, and what is obvious to you seasoned hunters I'm not to sure of.

When you skin the bunnies you should be able the see the little cyst's of worms right? or are they internal ? I've been looking at pics of tape worm infected bunnies in the Running Dog Maintenance book. They advise to freeze the bunnies for a couple of weeks to kill worms.

Still if i saw some shit like that on rabbit I'll toss it 'n not let the dogs eat it ,looks pretty rank

I'm doing some reading about myxomatosis online as I don't really know about what they did in the 1950's to the rabbits in Oz...erm trying to learn as much as i can.

Thanks for the help

Sam

just looking at these some of these answers in regards to myxomatosis and dogs what do you guys think ? http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080110014507AAy4dqK

Edited by mallakoff

Thanks evankirsty and AndrewL

I've got a question about rabbits in Australia. After all the diseases we gave them are they ok for my dogs to eat ?

I'm sure this is a common question but couldn't find a post relating to it

my brother they are not only good for your dogs but also good for u,,,,l have amate wich is doc,,just check the eyes,and liver,,,,,,,,,,ask around how to do it also never eat a sick animal if you dont have to ,,,,we all have our ways ,,but l eat the bugers,,,,,,,,micl

my brother they are not only good for your dogs but also good for u,,,,l have amate wich is doc,,just check the eyes,and liver,,,,,,,,,,ask around how to do it also never eat a sick animal if you dont have to ,,,,we all have our ways ,,but l eat the bugers,,,,,,,,micl

Thanks micl ,will find out how to check for disease.

Slowly staring to learn about this stuff

Thanks to all who replied.

Cheers - Sam

If you are worried at all about the rabbits freeze them for 2+ weeks and that will kill any worms or bugs that they may have. They are good for dogs, but they cant live on them as they have a very low fat content.

Cheers JackBan ,I will follow your advice regarding bunnies.

Thanks for your reply

Sam