Need Tips On How To Get My Pup Finding

gday im just wondering if anyone has any tips on how i can get my pup finding pigs and also how to get him hunting off the back of the ute thanks heaps

spend some time in the field looking for them,preferably with some one who has a dog that can find,if not continue to keep going on your own,if you can find some on a regular basis that you see you'll have a chance and the dog will pick it up from there .cheers peter

A hand full of dog pellets scattered over the lawn will soon get him the idea of using his nose if he struggles in the beginning rub them on something that smells a little stronger that he will eat ,chicken works well it soon teaches them what there nose is for before you get them out in the field ,you can then start hiding them as a game .

Not sure how old your pup is. But I always train my pups with the following method

Get your hands onto some pigs ears. Even if you carn't get out yourself ask other people in your town to bring some back.

Before letting your pup out drag a ear along the ground and leave a small amount of food at the end of the trail as a reward. Start with small find and make it longer as he gets better.

After the small feed then play tug a war with the ear on the rope, Pups love it.

Your pup will soon relate the smell of the pig ear to the real thing.

Walking is the best method of teaching dogs to smell and learn the sent of different animals. Don't let them get to far away from you so you can call them back if they take off on a wrong sent.

Don't train a pup with other pups, its a recipe for disaster.

Finding of the ute comes with the dogs confidence of finding of the ground. Being beside a good lead dog helps.

Best of luck

Pressy

Not sure how old your pup is. But I always train my pups with the following method

Get your hands onto some pigs nd and leave a small amount of food at the end of the trail as a reward. Start with small find and make it longer as he gets better.

After the small feed then play tug a war with the ear on the rope, Pups love it.

Walking is the best method of teaching dogs to smell and learn the sent of different animals. Don't let them get to far away from you so you can call them back if they take off on a wrong sent.

Finding of the ute comes with the dogs confidence of finding of the ground. Being beside a good lead dog helps.

Best of luck

Pressy

Get your hands onto some pigs ears. Even if you carn't get out yourself ask other people in your town to bring some back.

Before letting your pup out drag a ear along the ground and leave a small amount of food at the end of the trail as a reward. Start with small find and make it longer as he gets better.

Best of luck

Pressy

That's it in a nut shell and the old saying practice practice practice. There is no easy way other than buying one that does it and if your like me you will get a heaps bigger kick out training your own pup then buying a ute finder for 2 grand. No better feeling then watching your own dog do what you have trained it to do. Here is my bitch training her the same as pressy describes above only I use a pigs tail. The hardest thing for me is keeping my lugger away he loves it. Depending on the syle of dog you have will take longer for the softer breeds to lug the tail on the rope.

post-6886-025039800 1307495488_thumb.jpg

post-6886-043616000 1307495496_thumb.jpg

Edited by brianA

hey mate and find some1 with a ground/ute finder and run your pup with them as often as possible on the ground and when your pup has the confidence to jump off the ute moving or stopped then chuck him on the back with the finder and he will pick it up from there if he is going to be any good

• 1 month later...