What Age Do U Start A Dog

Most will have different view from me. I think it's good to leave them till there about 9 to 10 months before you start them. Gives them time to mature a bit in the head and body. I've started them earlier and most people will, but i don't think it hurts to give them a bit of extra time. I'm happy to take them out earlier to get use to the bush.

Best to start a young dog with an experienced dog. Monkey see, monkey do. Be patient, and don't try and force the dog to go at a faster pace than it can handle.

hey mate

i take my pups out at 8 weeks old i just leave them in the dog box and i start to let out to have a chew at bout 6 months and let them run with the big dogs at bout 10 months

depends on the breed of the dog as well

Yeah like JC said everyone is different, we will take our pups out as early as 10-12 weeks, put them in the cage, and let them watch what the other dogs do, we also set traps when starting pups and will show them a pig thats a bit bigger than them, this continues until the pup is about 4-5months depending size of pup, than we will tie pup on ute and go, if the pig that the other dogs get is safe enough for the pup we will let it off, when the pup is old enough and big enough to be able to keep up with the others we will let it run with one of the other dogs, we currently have a 7month old pup we bred ourselves who is improving on every hunt, but everyone to there own, my brother in law has 4 dogs ranging from 6 months to 3 1/2 years and his just starting the 3 1/2 year old on pigs.

so dont throw theme into big boars straight at early stage

Yeah like JC said everyone is different, we will take our pups out as early as 10-12 weeks, put them in the cage, and let them watch what the other dogs do, we also set traps when starting pups and will show them a pig thats a bit bigger than them, this continues until the pup is about 4-5months depending size of pup, than we will tie pup on ute and go, if the pig that the other dogs get is safe enough for the pup we will let it off, when the pup is old enough and big enough to be able to keep up with the others we will let it run with one of the other dogs, we currently have a 7month old pup we bred ourselves who is improving on every hunt, but everyone to there own, my brother in law has 4 dogs ranging from 6 months to 3 1/2 years and his just starting the 3 1/2 year old on pigs.

some young dogs love and can be let hit bigger pigs seen 4 and a half month old pups hold a 50kg boar on its own with out any troubles but also does depends on the pup some will thrive on it some will just sit back and watch until they are ready let them hit what size pig they are willing to but dont egg them into it if they want to have a go they will if not leave it at that and let them watch and learn a bit more

well i let my bullarab chase this small sow and this big boar popped out and then he chased it and got a flogging.... will he still chase pigs even know he got a floggin from the big boar

depends on the dog sometimes it will make him harder and more determined or could make him softer or not want anything to do with them at all

the best dog we ever had wouldnt hit any pig for 6 months after his flogging when he was still young but after the 6 months or so he was full flight into any pig he seen

Guest Smudge73

hey hunters what age do u reckon start u dogs off.... and should u start them off 1 out.... and have u got any other tips thanks

[/quot

I think let the dog tell you if it doesn't show interest it's not ready

Introduce them to the sights and sounds first few months then stock and roo proof them and as the other fellas said bit by bit depending on the dog. Remember to always use positive reinforcement. The best thing you could ever do is run them with a good stock and roo proof dog that has proven itself as a hunter. Dogs are pack animals and will pick up their habits from their pack, good or bad. Try and have one on one time too i have found this helps when your hunting dogs one out and also when giving voice commands to individual dogs when in company of other dogs.