New Boy Form Wyoming

well hellow from wyoming. Just joined the site, just getting into staghounds as well. been online and see that you boys down there have about got the rite mixs for huntn pig. dont have any pigs here but we corse coyote and jackrabbits. looks like loads of fun. i have ten mountain lion/coon hounds that i have been hunting for 5 years pretty steady but no idea what coursers will be like. so any and all advice is welcome and much appachated

Welcome to the site. The dog will first find the pig and then bail the pig up either until another dog arrives or the hunter gets there.

well thanks that explains alot, just heard them on the boardogs site descibing some dogs. looks like theres lots to learn about hogs and dogs both.

Yeah i was wondering the same thing, and lug means to catch? In texas we have a strike dog(which is a find dog), a bay dog/help dog(which will bark and help keep him contained), and a catch dog... although my dogs strike, bay, and catch when i get there. that way the hog will not have too much damage. A lot of hunters around here have strike/bay dogs and then lead in a catch dog. I do this some times, but alot of times in the marsh or thick areas it is hard(a hassle) to walk or ride a catch dog around.

Welcome to Ozziedoggers. :mistick_beer:

Bailer : Dog that barks/bays, may not find the pig but puts up a bay to help you locate the pig.

Finder/Bailer : Finds and bails/bays the pig, hunter then shoots the pig or uses luggers/holder to assist and hold the pig in place.

Finder/Bailer/ Holder : Finds and bails/bays the pig and will lug/hold on command when the hunter gets there. What you would call a strike dog.

Holder/lugger : Grabs hold of the pig by the ear, may not find the pig but be released to help the finder. What you would call a catch dog.

Finder/Holder/Lugger : Finds and holds/lugs the pig by the ear until you get there, another type of strike dog.

Finders are split into two categories,

Ground Finder: Dog that you walk with and tracks then finds the pig.

Ute Finder : Dogs that work of a moving vehicle, they jump off or vocalise when they pick up a scent and are released to find and catch the pig, most common dog used in Aus.

well thanks for the defin. and for the welcome, u fellas got some good looking dogs and some crosses that would be unheard of hear. but looks like a good time. what part of texas are u runin?