Girls That Hunt..

Gday all im megs i live on the mid north coast & go hunting just about every weekend & wondering if many chicks go hunting as it seems like im the only one.. lol anyways drop me a line if there are any of you out there.... Cheers

-Megs

Gday all im megs i live on the mid north coast & go hunting just about every weekend & wondering if many chicks go hunting as it seems like im the only one.. lol anyways drop me a line if there are any of you out there.... Cheers

-Megs

depends if your good looking :thumbup:

Thanx for the welcome everyone! Good to see im not the only one haha.. i knew there had to be a few chicks about cos its such great fun!

Just came back from a 3 day hunt with my other half & was pretty dissapointed not alot about just got a few small sows, was hoping for a whopping boar.. better luck next time huh!

I also do abit of shooting aswell.

What breed of dogs do you all use? i know most people use bull arabs, mastiffs etc but my partner and i have a kelpie & a blue cattle dog.The kelpie being the bailer and the cattle dog just starting to lug.There not a bad team and have found us sum good sized pigs!

-Megs

What breed of dogs do you all use? i know most people use bull arabs, mastiffs etc but my partner and i have a kelpie & a blue cattle dog.The kelpie being the bailer and the cattle dog just starting to lug.There not a bad team and have found us sum good sized pigs!

-Megs

Bit chancy if you come across a big one? The size in dog's crossed to Bull Arabs, Danes, Wolfhounds and Mastiffs etc. is all about the safety of the hunter and the dog. They can lug and protect you from a big one and not get hurt as easily themselves. That's the way I see it anyway. If it works for you and your feel safe then that's good too. Smaller dogs and bailers are great if your using a gun to dispatch but I reckon it could get a bit dicey with a big boar if you were using a knife.

Bit chancy if you come across a big one? The size in dog's crossed to Bull Arabs, Danes, Wolfhounds and Mastiffs etc. is all about the safety of the hunter and the dog. They can lug and protect you from a big one and not get hurt as easily themselves. That's the way I see it anyway. If it works for you and your feel safe then that's good too. Smaller dogs and bailers are great if your using a gun to dispatch but I reckon it could get a bit dicey with a big boar if you were using a knife.

Yes i know where ur coming at with the big dogs but our dogs are pretty clever the cattle dog is only 12 months old and will only lug if its a small pig and he will wait if its a biggin until we get there & i use a gun for big pigs only cos we dont have a masstif etc to do the job properly.but it all works the lil dogs are quite handy , a month ago they both had a 90kg boar bailed and waited till we got there without going too hard! Thanx 4 the reply mate! cheers

-Megs

I wrote somewhere else about a blue cattle x bull terrier dog that was the most courageous dog I've seen. He was a little bulkier than a straight blue heeler but saved his owner once in a blackberry patch. The doofus (owner not the dog) went in to a crawl hole after a pig only to find himself face to face with a big tusky boar and no where to run. The little dog flew in and gave him time to back out. He was a treasured dog after that and I bred him over my cattle x collie bitch for some excellent pups. This dog changed hands a couple of times due to his unfortunate habit of getting stuck into anyone who raised their hands to any kids. Good for the kids of course but in those days smacking the tykes wasn't a problem.

I wrote somewhere else about a blue cattle x bull terrier dog that was the most courageous dog I've seen. He was a little bulkier than a straight blue heeler but saved his owner once in a blackberry patch. The doofus (owner not the dog) went in to a crawl hole after a pig only to find himself face to face with a big tusky boar and no where to run. The little dog flew in and gave him time to back out. He was a treasured dog after that and I bred him over my cattle x collie bitch for some excellent pups. This dog changed hands a couple of times due to his unfortunate habit of getting stuck into anyone who raised their hands to any kids. Good for the kids of course but in those days smacking the tykes wasn't a problem.

oh wow he sounds like he was a top dog! lol yeh good for the kids alrite haha!

Our cattle dog is about 28kg (and still growing but his not fat.) his bigger then ur average blue as his grandfather was 40kg & fit as anything, he was the best pig dog my partner had. Unfortuently he died 3 years ago from a brain tumour at 8years old which was too young if u ask me!!

Do u still have that cattle x collie line going or was that years ago??

oh wow he sounds like he was a top dog! lol yeh good for the kids alrite haha!

Our cattle dog is about 28kg (and still growing but his not fat.) his bigger then ur average blue as his grandfather was 40kg & fit as anything, he was the best pig dog my partner had. Unfortuently he died 3 years ago from a brain tumour at 8years old which was too young if u ask me!!

Do u still have that cattle x collie line going or was that years ago??

Wow! Grandpappy was a BIG cattle dog! I haven't been back in years but the original pups went straight up. The parents have both been gone for more than a decade and I have no idea what happened to the line. My girl (the cattle x collie) lived out her last years as a throw cushion on my Mums couch. ;)

I didn't realise your dog was so big too. 28kgs is pretty big for a fit young cattle dog. In fact the breed standard is about 15 to 23 kg and 12 to 14 years. It's always sad to see them go young especially from disease. Good luck with him.

Wow! Grandpappy was a BIG cattle dog! I haven't been back in years but the original pups went straight up. The parents have both been gone for more than a decade and I have no idea what happened to the line. My girl (the cattle x collie) lived out her last years as a throw cushion on my Mums couch. ;)

I didn't realise your dog was so big too. 28kgs is pretty big for a fit young cattle dog. In fact the breed standard is about 15 to 23 kg and 12 to 14 years. It's always sad to see them go young especially from disease. Good luck with him.

Yes he was indeed! Ive attached a pic of him but will find sum more so u can see his size & put them in my albumn shortly if u like!

Shame u still dont have the line going as it sounded like she was a top dog.

Yeh theres not many cattle dogs about that are bigger then about 20kg. Grandad was a QLD blue.

Our boy Dexter is Gemmas(the kelpie) son. We found a decent blue cattle dog to put over her & the result was 6 blue cattle dogs but Dex being the only male but very similar to Victor the grandad.Funny that! Were hoping dex will turn out like victor one day! Lotsa training and only time will tell i guess!

Thanx mate!

-Megs

post-5233-1249948476_thumb.jpg

-Megs

i love hunting n now i dont get 2 go enough i live hunting pigs but since we moved from bourke!!! iv got a whippet n ferrets so that i can hunt more variety!!!

Thanx boarbabe! Wish there were more in my area tho! Where abouts do u hunt? Ive got a heap of private propertys i hunt on which is tops.Cheers

-Megs

Gday hiya. Hunting ferretts would be fun. they can be nasty lil buggers tho lol.. shame u cant hunt as much.. maybe in the near future u might be able to! Good luck mate.Cheers

-Megs

Yes he was indeed! Ive attached a pic of him but will find sum more so u can see his size & put them in my albumn shortly if u like!

Shame u still dont have the line going as it sounded like she was a top dog.

Yeh theres not many cattle dogs about that are bigger then about 20kg. Grandad was a QLD blue.

Our boy Dexter is Gemmas(the kelpie) son. We found a decent blue cattle dog to put over her & the result was 6 blue cattle dogs but Dex being the only male but very similar to Victor the grandad.Funny that! Were hoping dex will turn out like victor one day! Lotsa training and only time will tell i guess!

Thanx mate!

-Megs

Good lookin' dog Megs. Post some pics when you can. We all like admiring good dogs!

Good lookin' dog Megs. Post some pics when you can. We all like admiring good dogs!

Thanx mate! ive put a few of him in my album check them out..will post a few of his grandson 2moro too.. u can see the simularity in him..

-Megs