Howdy From Texas

I do my hog doggen up in Texas. I live just outside Houston. It is getting hot up here and I understand y'all know a bit about heat. We use cut vests to protect our dogs but when it gets hot we either hunt at night or take the vests off. I won't run without a vest so that limits my hunting. I was trying to find out more about the breastplates y'all use and I want to read about the way y'all run your dogs.

I do not really say howdy, I use a four-wheeler instead of a horse, but I do know how to ride a horse.

Edited by Texas

G'day mate and welcome to the site.

Feel free to ask questions or do a search of the site. There are lots of different styles of plates used here. All of them work but they range from heavier tusk stoppers to lighter more flexible plates that allow more dog movement. Everyone has a view on what works for them largely because of the diversity of hunting conditions on offer in Oz.

Cheers.

I understand I have to post and reply to get more access. Different terms are used down under. But I need lighter for my bay dogs but it has to stop a tusk and but my catch dog needs the armor from a tank. The terain varies greatly depending on which way I go. I know a lot is personal taste. But when you have boar walk out of the woods with dogs on his back you know you never send them out unprotected.

I understand I have to post and reply to get more access. Different terms are used down under. But I need lighter for my bay dogs but it has to stop a tusk and but my catch dog needs the armor from a tank. The terain varies greatly depending on which way I go. I know a lot is personal taste. But when you have boar walk out of the woods with dogs on his back you know you never send them out unprotected.

Tusk Proof - Protective Accessories - Welcome

TOMS TARPS / We've got you covered!

...Pig Dog Supplies...

http://www.ozziedoggers.org/forum/Scrubdog-Plates-Collars-t9650.html

here's some links for some of the breastplates we use down here.

Tusk Proof - Protective Accessories - Welcome

TOMS TARPS / We've got you covered!

...Pig Dog Supplies...

http://www.ozziedoggers.org/forum/Scrubdog-Plates-Collars-t9650.html

here's some links for some of the breastplates we use down here.

welcome to the site mate. i reckon you will find what you need here there is plenty of blokes with the know how and experience. i dont know what type of material you guy's use over there but lighter dosnt always mean weaker when it comes to what you use in a chestplate (or cutvest). i use a material from a mine its a type of filter cloth and looks like a white fire blanket when layed out but 2 or 3 layers of it will stop any tusk. ive had a couple of the collars since 2005 and they are still going strong. i tried the 2 layer and the 3 layer.

here is a pic of the plates i use post-3095-127345230619_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...