New Member Imergrating To Oz In July/augest

hi every one!! my family and i are moving to oz sometime around july/augest.im irish living in scotland with my scotish other half and step son.

we are very excited to be moving to your amazing country,myself a keen hunter.

im looking forward to chasing down my first big game boar.

we should be moving to queensland close to brisbane.

just a couple of questions.

1,bull arabs- are they just a chase dog or do they make good catch dogs aswell?

2,is it easy enough to purchase an american pitt and are they legal?

3,are american bulldogs any good.

4,if you could have three dogs for hunting boar,what three dogs would you take ie breeds?

cheers look forword to hearing from u :wagging:

welcome to this wonderful country. Bullarabs find, locate and hold boars as long as they are from the right bloodlines. pitbulls are easy to get a hold of but are illegal in most states. American bulldogs make great catch dogs and are always eager to tackle a boar, once again it comes down to the right bloodlines as they must be leggy to chase down fast boar.

if you want three dogs as a team i would try to get a bullarab, bullygrey and wolfhound cross then see which one suits you best as it depends on the country you will be hunting.

good luck bud.

welcome to this wonderful country. Bullarabs find, locate and hold boars as long as they are from the right bloodlines. pitbulls are easy to get a hold of but are illegal in most states. American bulldogs make great catch dogs and are always eager to tackle a boar, once again it comes down to the right bloodlines as they must be leggy to chase down fast boar.

if you want three dogs as a team i would try to get a bullarab, bullygrey and wolfhound cross then see which one suits you best as it depends on the country you will be hunting.

good luck bud.

thanks for your reply bud

Gday mate, good choice moving to this country you'll love it theres none better.

Bull arabs can do the lot, depending on the quality obviously, they often make top finders and holders, definitly one of the top all around pig dogs you can get.

Its easy to buy pitts in oz although they are illegal in some states and other states place certain restrictions on them.

Am bulldogs generally always make top luggers, but depending on their line or build they can sometimes be slow or be susceptible to heat problems.

Your last question is a difficult one to answer as there are so many breeds or mostly crossbreeds that do very well as pig dogs. Going by your questions regarding pitts and am bulldogs Im assuming you have an interest in these breeds, both are top dogs but can sometimes be a bit hit and miss as pigdogs when they are pure but both generally make good dogs when crossed. I have seen both these breeds crossed with bullarabs and the offspring have all gone on to make good pigdogs, just something to consider.

A good thing to do when you get to your new area over here is to take note or talk to hunters about the breeds or crosses that seem to work well in that type of country and make your choice on what dog you want to get then.

Anyway then good luck with it mate and I hope all goes well with your move.

G'day mate,

All good advice so far. Mine is to get out and get a few pigs first before you settle on dogs. A lot of eager but unused pigdogs in the yard can be a pain in the neck. Take your time and find out a bit more about access to land and what other hunters are using and you'll be right. Keep us informed on your movements and someone on here will be probably be able to take you for a run.

Cheers.

hello there,

was just reading all the advice yyou have been given all very true and very good advice

all i can add is my personal dog preference,

bull arab is great if well bred will do it all,if you where to get a good arab you may only need the one dog,depending on your hunting area/style

another fav of mine is the dane/mastiff i like the dosile nature of them and willingness to hunt well,

but thats just my opinion,

safe hunting.

Guest Tash*

Hey there Grunter Hunter!!

Like the others have said, good choice moving here mate, you and your family should love it!!

Where abouts in Queensland near Brisbane are you relocating to exactly? There are a trillion hunters around this way!

As for dogs well, like some have said before, take your time to pick what is going to work well for you, I love hearing peoples opinions on Bull Arabs, you either love them or hate them!, the bullygrey seems to be a favourite and Dane mastiffs can be handy too, I think that it depends with a Pitty,I think a x would work better it depends really. Each breed as you know has its certain qualities, that's why I reckon it is good to get a x with a few breeds then you can take the legginess of one dog and mix it with a good nose from another dog and throw in a good hard lugger and in theory you should have yourself a good dog!!....people talk of bloodlines and quality, well I think that is true to but you take any dog that shows interest and is keen and spend the time with it and you should get a good working dog, sometimes however you just get duds, it is a trial and error thing!

Good luck with it all

Tash*

G'day mate,

What everyone has said is pretty much spot on. but for my 3 dogs, i would say wolf hound, arab and mastiff. At the moment i have a pup, 4 months old, mastiff/arab/ridgeback/hound. She is already chasing after boars with my dads dogs.

G'day mate,

What everyone has said is pretty much spot on. but for my 3 dogs, i would say wolf hound, arab and mastiff. At the moment i have a pup, 4 months old, mastiff/arab/ridgeback/hound. She is already chasing after boars with my dads dogs.

mate ridge backs are great dogs for hunting in africa they used to hun lions with them so i would go arabx ridge back or a staffy but the staffy has to be crossed with a dog with good legs cause they are damn short

Hey mate,

All good advice, I'd get out a bit like everyone has said and see what is working for some other hunters. In relation to the Pitty, They are a banned breed around all of birsbane and there are plenty of other dogs around that will work and do what you want without the hassle that comes with that breed. I live in Brisbane, so once you get here send me a msg and pop over and say G'day sometime.

Macca

mate ridge backs are great dogs for hunting in africa they used to hun lions with them so i would go arabx ridge back or a staffy but the staffy has to be crossed with a dog with good legs cause they are damn short

Thats actually pretty cool. such a good temperment though. My dads arab/ridgeback looks after my 2 year old brother so well. love them and definately invest in another if i ever got the chance.

Cheers mate